The Society for the Study of Architecture (SSAC) seeks a student intern to assist with the activities and initiatives of our newly established Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Sustainability Committee.
About the organization:
The SSAC is a learned society and registered charitable organization dedicated to the study of the Canadian built environment. It has a varied membership that includes students, historians of architecture, architects, heritage practitioners and cultural planners. Founded in 1974, it has encouraged the collection and preservation of the country’s architectural records, stimulated and supported important scholarly publication, and, through both its members and its Journal, has fostered the understanding and preservation of the built environment.
In 2020, the SSAC struck a committee devoted to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Sustainability (DEIS). The mandate of the committee is to examine how the Society can become more inclusive of the voices of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) and what we can do to promote the study of Black architectures, Indigenous architectures, and the architectures of people of colour in Canada, as well as wider issues of equity and sustainability.
The DEIS Committee is essential to the future of the SSAC and its commitment to equity and inclusion.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the committee’s activities were largely put on hold; however, they will resume in Fall 2021.
Description of placement:
The successful applicant will be supervised by and work closely with the Chair of the DEIS Committee, and will work collaboratively with the DEIS committee members to research, discuss, and implement strategies to help the SSAC be more inclusive in terms of membership and society activities and initiatives.
Tasks may include:
- Attending and participating in monthly online meetings of the DEIS Committee
- Researching the DEIS activities and initiatives of similar societies to be presented and discussed during DEIS Committee Meetings
- Preparing and administering a DEIS survey to SSAC members and presenting/summarizing the findings
- Brainstorming and implementing strategies addressing how the society can authentically and sustainably move towards being more inclusive
- Researching and/or writing and/or podcasting brief reports on buildings and/or neighbourhoods in BIPOC communities in Canada, which may be published through one of our outlets – journal, blog, newsletter, etc.
- Contributing to the SSAC newsletter
- Promoting/summarizing the activities of the DEIS committee on SSAC social media outlets
- Brainstorming/planning an event – a talk, panel, or online tour that addresses DEIS (conditional upon funding)
The successful applicant will attend all meetings of the DEIS Committee and all events associated with it, where they will have the opportunity to collaborate with professionals from a variety of architectural fields to promote equity and inclusion.
Additionally, the intern will receive all benefits of society membership for one year.
All work will be conducted remotely.
Timing/hours of placement: 8-10 hours per week/12 weeks, up to a maximum of 120 hours. Flexible timing throughout the week.
This project is supported by the Learning & Education Advancement Fund at the University of Toronto